A 24-year-old woman from TORBA Province, Henslyn Reveag, has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is appealing for public and community support to help her access further treatment in India.

Her husband, Winton Manliwos, shared their story with the Daily Post, expressing deep concern for his wife’s health and their young family. He said they are currently trying to raise funds, with assistance from relatives back on the islands, to meet the cost of traveling and receiving treatment overseas.

“We’re not sure if the cancer is still active, and time is not on our side. If it continues to grow, we fear we may lose her,” Mr. Manliwos said.

According to him, the symptoms first appeared in 2023 when Henslyn felt a lump in her right breast. After a consultation at a local clinic, they were referred to Vila Central Hospital (VCH) for further assessment. Unfortunately, their first visit in December 2023 coincided with the festive season, and they were unable to receive timely medical attention as most doctors were on leave.

They returned on January 21, 2024, and following a surgical procedure to remove the lump, they were asked to pay VT20,000 to fast-track the test results. The results were inconclusive at the time, and believing it was not cancer, the couple returned to Vanualava.

However, the removed tissue had been sent to Australia for further analysis. In November 2024, while still on the island, the couple received a call from doctors confirming that the lump was indeed cancerous. They were advised to return to Port Vila for further treatment.

Due to travel constraints, the family first went to Santo where scans were conducted using limited equipment, which failed to detect any clear signs of cancer. Determined to seek proper care, they visited Santo Medical Centre, where additional scans and imaging were conducted and sent to Australia. Despite this, uncertainty remained about whether the cancer had spread.

In March 2025, they arrived in Port Vila and returned to VCH. However, they were informed that the hospital lacks the advanced equipment necessary to determine the current status of the cancer. Doctors explained that if the cancer had been confirmed earlier, a more thorough surgical procedure could have been performed during the initial operation.

The family was advised that for proper diagnosis and treatment, Henslyn would need to travel to India. A quotation for treatment was recently returned from Pacific Medical, outlining the expected costs for care in India.

Mr. Manliwos said they also tried to register with the Ikkana Cancer Foundation for support, but were informed that registrations had already closed. Despite the setback, the couple remains hopeful and is appealing for any support—whether from individuals, associations, or organizations—that can assist in funding Henslyn’s urgent medical treatment abroad.

“Any help, big or small, will make a difference in giving my wife a second chance at life,” he said.


SOURCE: VANUATU DAILY POST