A married man who repeatedly threatened a woman with a knife to force her into having sex multiple times while her husband was overseas has been sentenced to 8 years and 11 months in prison.

The Supreme Court heard that 35-year-old Mathew Narua first threatened the woman with a long piece of wood one Sunday morning in October 2021, as she was on her way to go fishing.

Narua grabbed her shirt and dragged her off the road. He threatened to beat her with the piece of wood if she refused to have sex with him. Afterwards, he threatened to kill her and hide her body if she told anyone.

The court also heard that a few days later, Mr. Narua approached her with a large bush knife while she was leaving the garden after picking pawpaw for her children.

Though she did not want to, he showed her the knife and threatened to cut her with it. The garden was far from her house. After the assault, he told her not to tell anyone.

The third incident occurred later that same month. The victim was planting taro in her garden when Narua approached her from behind with the same knife.

He held the knife to her neck and threatened to cut her if she did not have sex with him.

Narua denied the offence in the pre-sentence report; however, the court found him guilty of three charges of sexual intercourse without consent, contrary to sections 90(a) and 91 of the Penal Code [CAP.135]. The maximum sentence for this offence is life imprisonment.

After considering the aggravating factors, Judge Viran Molisa Trief set Narua’s sentence starting point at 9 years of imprisonment.

Narua has four children. He is a Year 10 leaver and previously participated in the seasonal employment scheme but ceased after the offence. He is currently unemployed. No reduction was given for his personal circumstances.

His sentence was reduced by one month for the time he spent in custody.

Narua’s sentence is backdated to March 3, 2025, when he was remanded. Judge Trief stated in the verdict that his sentence could not be suspended due to the seriousness of the offence.

He was given 14 days to appeal the sentence.


SOURCE: VANUATU DAILY POST