A 19-year-old woman, about four months pregnant with her first child, has died following a fatal assault in Northwest Malekula, in a case that has sparked national outrage and renewed calls to address violence against women and girls.

The Vanuatu Police Force (VPF) confirmed the incident occurred on Friday, 20 February, at Brenwei Village in northwest Malekula, where a young man allegedly killed his partner from Arof Village.

Police said the suspect, from Brenwei Village, was arrested on 22 February after surrendering to his village chief. He remains in custody, awaiting appearance before the Magistrate Court.

 “The act of killing another person within our community is not acceptable behaviour,” VPF stated, adding that investigations into the case are ongoing.

According to information received, Nichol Ashem, who had been in a relationship with her partner for around two years, was rushed to Norsup Hospital but did not survive due to severe blood loss.

Her family is seeking financial restitution for the tragic loss of their loved one in such a violent attack.

The killing has prompted a strong response from the Vanuatu Women’s Centre (VWC), which condemned the act and called for urgent action to address gender-based violence.

In a statement released on 22 February, VWC National Coordinator Tatavola Matas described the death of the young woman as “a horrific tragedy that has shaken our nation,” saying a life full of potential had been “brutally stolen in an act of extreme violence.”

“The Vanuatu Women’s Centre condemns the action and we stand in solidarity with the family of Nichol Ashem,” she said.

Ms Matas said the tragedy is a stark reminder that violence against women and girls remains one of the most persistent human rights violations in Vanuatu.

“We must be clear: violence is a choice, not a reason. No dispute, no jealousy, and no circumstance justifies the abuse or killing of a woman,” she said, warning against blaming substance use instead of addressing deeper social attitudes that enable abuse.

She noted that high levels of physical and sexual violence — with an estimated lifetime prevalence of around 60 percent — represent a national emergency, and urged communities, churches, chiefs, and families to stop treating domestic violence as a private matter.

Matas also called on men and boys to speak out against abuse and urged authorities to ensure the perpetrator faces appropriate legal consequences, while pressing the government to strengthen enforcement of the Family Protection Act and allocate more resources to protect women and girls.

As the police investigation continues, Ashem’s death — along with that of her unborn child — has intensified calls for collective action to prevent further tragedies and ensure safer communities for women and girls across the country.


SOURCE: VANUATU DAILY POST