Communications and Advocacy Coordinator Role – Sista
JOB TITLE: Communications and Advocacy Coordinator
SALARY SCALE: 70k – 100k per month, depending on qualifications and experience
REPORTING TO POSITION: Executive Director and Program Manager
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Communications and Advocacy Coordinator will be responsible for oversight, planning and delivery of all communication work within Sista, in line with the communication strategy. Communication work is critical to help tell the story of Sista’s programs and get important messages out to communities, while advocating on issues that affect women and girls.
Working across the whole team, and supported by the Communication Officer, the Communications and Advocacy Coordinator will implement our communications strategy by developing stories and communications materials to share the work we are doing with key stakeholders, including the media, donors, partners, communities and the general public.
Your work will also help increase awareness about the key topics we work on – gender equality, women and girls empowerment, reducing gender based violence – and advocate for positive change.
Contributing to Sista’s overall Program Strategy and Leadership:
- Contribute to the development of Sista’s programming by ensuring that communication strategies are considered throughout the project cycle (both internal and external) with a key focus on advocacy; and
- Demonstrate a passion for communications, and a commitment to Sista’s approach and values including gender equality, ethnic diversity and cultural sensitivity and inspire leadership on these issues through the Sista team.
- Ensure all team members understand the communication strategy and the role they play in implementing this.
- Directly supervise communication officer(s)
- Together with the Program Manager, identify critical staff needs in the communication function and coordinate with HR on recruitment and other HR processes.
Implementation of the Communication Strategy
- Support project teams to identify story, photo, video and other communication opportunities
Support communications teams to plan and storyboard the content required for good quality products
- Oversee and directly collect story content, including interviews, photos, videos and other materials, and coordinate a content gathering system to collect content via program staff
- Ensure that consent is collected from all story (written, photo, video or other) subjects
- Produce written or visual stories to be used in communications materials and products
- Coordinate the storage system for story resources, including written stories, photos, videos, consent forms and other materials.
- Work with program staff to build skills in story identification, interviewing, photography, story writing and media interviews
- Work closely with service providers (e.g. video production companies or animators) to oversee the quality of products
- Identify and articulate key organisation and program messages for Sista’s target audiences, including donors, government, communities, the general public in Vanuatu
- Copy edit and produce summaries of key documents as required
- Build networks and databases of key media contacts
- Develop communications campaigns in line with the communications strategy
- Identify, produce and disseminate appropriate communications materials and tools, incorporating key messages
- Identify and source newsworthy stories, media opportunities and awareness-raising needs in line with the communications strategy
- Manage Sista’s online presence, including (but not limited to facebook, youtube, twitter and websites)
- Produce and distribute press releases and other media materials, including sourcing photos
- Track media coverage and share within Sista
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure that there are clear plans in place to produce communication material for use by program staff in monitoring and evaluation
- Support the Program Team and program staff to undertake monitoring and evaluation activities and gather program impact information
- Promote a safe and secure work environment; foster a culture of safety and security awareness and consistently follow all Sista safety and security policies, procedures and directives
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to gender equality, diversity and child protection.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum vocational training in journalism, communications or a related field, and/or minimum 4-5 years relevant work experience in senior positions [e.g NGO or private sector] or equivalent
- Professional communication skills in Bislama and strong communication skills in English, including an ability to write press releases, human interest stories and communications materials appropriate for an NGO stakeholder audiences
- Ability to develop creative communication products, tools and approaches.
- Good awareness of the media industry and ability to cultivate relationships with media outlets and representatives as well as other stakeholders
- Awareness and sensitivity to the particular issues facing vulnerable and marginalised people in Vanuatu and the development landscape in Vanuatu
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to take direction and to work as part of a team
- Good organisational and time management skills, including the ability to plan your own work to meet deadlines
- A willingness to learn about Sista, feminism, gender equality and women’s empowerment activities
- Fully conversant in Office applications – Microsoft Word, Publisher, Excel, keyboard/data entry and numeracy skills
- Confident in using online design tools to create professional graphics
- Experience in communicating via new and social media platforms
- Demonstrated skills in photography, videography and/or graphic design
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute communications campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, and develop and implement strategic communications plan
- Graphic design ability will be highly regarded
TO APPLY please send an email including a cover letter outlining essential criteria, and a resume with 2 references to email@example.com with the subject line: APPLICATION – Communications and Advocacy Coordinator Role
Applications close 6th September 2022.