negotiation-window-closed-payments-made-are-small

The Vanuatu Teachers Union (VTU) said there would not be any opportunity for further negotiations if they resume industrial action now that the ministerial discontinuance order has lapsed.

Secretary General (SG) of VTU, Jonathan Yona, said they have the right to recall industrial action anytime since negotiations under the Undertaking Agreement starting June 18th failed to resolve grievances.

When teachers resume industrial action, they will not return to work until their payments are deposited into their accounts, said Yona.

Yona said the government’s recent payments of VT214, 637, 051 are just a small portion of total claims, with over 20 claims under the agreement.

The Third Vice President of VTU, Brian Forau, said there is no record of payments made so far, and no proof of which teachers were paid.

VTU estimated its claims to exceed VT17 billion.

It includes unpaid severance pay, housing allowance, child allowance, reimbursement of course fees, remote allowance, salary underpayment, death in service entitlement, transfer allowance, posting expenses entitlement, working hours and conditions, leave provisions, remote allowance, payment for teachers performing duties as principals and deputy principals and for teachers performing above their designated grades.

Regarding public concerns about the timing of the industrial action due to the country’s financial situation, Yona said VTU has been making these demands for years and finding the money for is not their responsibility.

“Politicians can easily get a salary rise overnight while teachers have been pleading to have their grievance over the past 18 years. These are debts that the government owes the teachers. The Minister of Finance or whoever is responsible should find the funds-we need the money,” said Yona.

He said VTU recognises education as essential, but the prolonged situation is the government’s problem, not theirs.

SG Yona assured VTU members that the Teaching Service Commission’s (TSC) circular poses no threat to them participating in an industrial action. He also pointed out that the discontinuance order No:111 of 2024 to revoke order No.82, which had already expired on August 6, is invalid. Order No: 111 was signed by the Acting Minister of Internal Affairs, Bob Loughman, and published in the official gazette on August 7. “The order fails to provide any steps or mechanisms for resolving the current disputes, and also the Trade Dispute Act does not allow for a discontinuance order to be effective for more than 60 days,” said Yona. Order No.84, signed by the Minister of Internal Affairs, lapsed yesterday.

It was issued to amend order No. 82. Therefore, according to VTU, order No.111 was issued to revoke something that no longer exists.


SOURCE: VANUATU DAILY POST